The Centre aims to deliver scientific innovations in optical science and its applications. To translate research into innovative technologies in transport, health, security, defence, agriculture, entertainment, and education, we gather outstanding innovators from diverse backgrounds to be future leaders for decades to come.
Significant research has shown that diverse teams can develop more innovative ideas. When people from different contexts work together, their unique perspectives lead to greater creativity. The Centre provides a safe and respectful environment, responding to our community’s diverse needs. This will be achieved by actioning the IDEA Strategic and Implementation Plan and will remain a responsibility of all Centre members.
Our principles are:
- Respect: We respect and value the diversity of our staff and students – who are Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, culturally and linguistically diverse, of all genders, who are of diverse gender identities, sexes and sexualities, who have a disability, ongoing medical or mental health condition and who are socially or economically disadvantaged.
- Safety: We seek to provide a culturally safe environment where our Indigenous communities and students, and staff of all backgrounds are respected and included.
- Innovation: We measure, assess and strive to improve our efforts to provide a diverse and inclusive environment for our staff and students and communicate these efforts throughout the community.
- Sustainability: We capture and embrace our whole community’s diversity while maintaining the integrity of the international relationships we hold.
IDEA committee goals/activities
- Build a diverse Centre team today for tomorrow’s workforce.
Engrain IDEA values and behaviours in our Centre team so we are the change-makers in our universities and beyond.
- Create a sense of belonging and shared purpose in our Centre team to become inclusive individuals.
- Amplify and leverage the efforts, resources, movements, and voices of underrepresented groups to support Centre team members and allies.
We are inclusive, open and respectful.We value the differences individuals bring to the work environment. We give fair and just treatment of all potential and existing members of the community. We are accessible.
As part of our IDEA commitment TMOS has employed the online training system Symmetra. To date our centre has completed 12 different training modules. This has been an amazing way to consistently update our members IDEA education.
- Building a Diverse Organisation
- Building Psychological Safety
- Cross Cultural Intelligence
- Debiasing Techniques
- Disability Inclusion
- Diversity of Thought
- Everyday Inclusion
- Everyday Sexism
- Inclusion in meetings
- LGBTIQ Inclusion
- Psychological Safety Behaviours
- Unconscious Bias 101
“It reinforced my understanding and made me aware that assumptions can be unintentionally made” – Shaban Sulejman
Latest IDEA News
Quantum Leaps for Women in Physics and Engineering: Exclusive Recruitment Drive Unveiled
30 Oct, 2023
TMOS, the ARC Centre of Excellence for Transformative Meta-Optical Systems, is proud to announce the implementation of a groundbreaking initiative aimed at increasing the number of women researchers o ...
Physics research centre launches pilot program to increase STEM participation in low socio-economic schools
11 Oct, 2023
TMOS, the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Transformative Meta-Optics Systems is launching a pilot program this week designed to encourage more students in low socio-economic schoo ...
The next frontier: meta-optics in space
09 Oct, 2023
Of the many challenges the space industry faces, size and weight constraints when sending payloads into space is one of the most keenly felt pain points. The limited capacity of launch vehicles means ...
Message from our International Scientific Advisory Committee
19 Sep, 2023
When thinking about the next generation, the theme of this year's TMOS annual report, my mind goes to the current Fourth Industrial Revolution, where the boundary between humans and technology is begi ...
Australian National University
Chief Operations Officer
Australian National University
University of Melbourne
IDEA Officer & Node Administrator